Your Choices Will Put You on the Path to a Blessed Life
About ten years ago I made a decision that changed my life. I was a typical middle-aged man, overweight, borderline high blood pressure and lacking in energy. I decided to get healthy. The first question was “Where do I start?” I decided to start with exercise, thinking it would take care of my weight problem. I made the wrong choice. It wasn’t until I addressed my poor eating habits and made permanent lifestyle changes that I got on the path to good health.
We face a similar challenge spiritually as we do physically. At any moment in time we’re either spiritually healthy or unhealthy. Do you know how you’re doing spiritually? The Bible uses different terms to describe a healthy spiritual life. The one I like is a blessed life. “Blessed” means happy and includes being fulfilled and successful.
[Tweet ” A blessed life is a healthy spiritual life. It’s what God intends for you”]
Let’s take a short quiz to see if you are living a blessed life. Here are seven statements that are true of one living a blessed life. How many of these are true of you?
Seven Characteristics of a Blessed Life
- I feel spiritually refreshed. Jeremiah 31:25
- I feel close to God. James 4:8
- I have inner peace. John 14:27
- I have spiritual confidence. Ephesians 3:12
- I regularly have spiritual victories. 1 John 5:4
- I regularly spend time with God. Psalm 108:1-3
- I feel love and accepted by God. Psalm 103:11-13
No one experiences these 100% all the time. We live in a sinful world with spiritual enemies who try to thwart the blessings God intends for us. However, if you’re living a blessed life these statements will be true more often than not.
[Tweet “If you’re living a blessed life pause right now and thank the Lord for His blessings! “]
If you’re spiritually unhealthy, how do you get on track? Psalm 1 is all about living a blessed life. In the first two verses are two steps one has to take to get started down this path.
2 Steps to Get On the Path to a Blessed Life
- Purge your life of wickedness. You already know what’s pulling you down spiritually. Sinful habits and ungodly people. You know they don’t really make you happy or fulfilled. There is short term pleasure then guilt and pain. You have to get rid of them to get on the path to the blessed life. Psalm 1:1
- Fill your life with God and the things of God. Share your heart and soul with God. Seek Him and He will fill your heart with joy and delight. Quiet your heart before Him. Listen to Him. Spend time with others who know Him. Psalm 1:2
When I started getting healthy physically I stopped eating food with processed sugar. It was hard. My body was used to it and I craved it. Now, if I eat processed sugar I get a headache. Sugar isn’t sin but it’s like it.
[Tweet “We crave sin thinking it feels good but it hurts us in ways we don’t realize”]
Like getting healthy physically, the blessed life doesn’t happen instantly. But when it does, you’ll be blessed!
I’d love to hear from you. Please leave a comment or question below.