Satan’s Followers Include People Who Don’t Realize They Follow Satan
A war is not a fight or battle between two individuals or families. A war is when one nation or state fights against another.
Spiritual warfare isn’t just a battle between God and Satan. It’s the ongoing hostilities that exist between God and his followers and Satan and his followers. At some point in the past Satan rebelled against God. It was not, however, until after Satan attacked God’s perfect creation that God declared war on Satan Genesis 3:15. In that declaration we see that the war is broader than just a conflict between God and Satan. God said,
“I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring.”
Who are God’s followers and Satan’s followers?
When you say the phrase “Satan’s followers” all kinds of stereotypical images come to mind. We may, for example, think of people dressed in black, Goth-like clothing. Although those may be Satan’s followers they’re far from typical. Everyone alive today is either a Christ follower or one of Satan’s followers.
[Tweet “Everyone alive today is either a Christ follower or one of Satan’s followers.”]
The problem is that most who are not Christ followers would argue that they don’t follow Satan. Many would even say they don’t believe in Satan. They may be by all account good and moral people. Consider this.
- Matthew 12:30 Jesus said that whoever is not with Him is against Him.
- Ephesians 2:2 says that anyone who is not a Christ follower is “following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air,” that is, Satan.
- John 8:44 Jesus told some religious leaders who opposed Him that they were of their father the devil.
Is it possible to follow Satan and not know it? Absolutely. You see it isn’t about how good or bad you are. The question is, which side are you on, God’s or Satan’s? Everyone is born a sinner and automatically on Satan’s side.
[Tweet “Everyone is born a sinner and automatically on Satan’s side.”]
This is not what God intended. Let’s look at the progression of events.
- Humanity was created in the image of God Genesis 1:27. We were perfect and innocent. We did not have an evil, sinful nature.
- Satan attacked Eve and as a result of Adam and Eve’s disobedience humanity changed. Our nature was corrupted by sin and death entered the world Romans 5:12. The entire human race became Satan’s followers and fell under his power.
- God put in place a plan to deliver His followers from Satan’s power Hebrews 2:14.
How is one delivered from being one of Satan’s followers? According to Colossians 1:13 when a person believes that Jesus died on the cross to pay for their sins he becomes a Christ follower. At that moment God delivers that person from the domain of darkness. He transfers that person to the kingdom of His beloved Son.
Satan does everything he can to keep people from believing in Jesus including blinding them from the truth of the good news 2 Corinthians 4:4. Each time a person believes in Jesus it is a victory for the good guys!
Today, thank God for delivering you from Satan’s power and pray for your family, friends, coworkers and neighbors that God would open their eyes to the truth of the Gospel!
If you’ve got a comment or question please leave it below!