God Has A Promise For You Today
One could make a case that the Bible is a promise book! Herbert Lockyer wrote a book called All the Promises in the Bible. He counts 7,487 promises in the Bible made by God to man. There are another 1,323 promises from man to man, angels to man and even a few by Satan (e.g. Matthew 4:9). There are 31,103 verses in the Bible. That means almost 1 out of every 4 verses in the Bible contains a promise from God!
With that many promises it isn’t hard to imagine that God has a promise for you! God’s promises are an important part of His communication to us. How do you find God’s promise for you? Here are 7 tips.
7 Tips On How To Find God’s Promise For You Today
- Identify the need of your heart. It may be that life is good but you want more of God’s blessing in your life. It may be you are going through hardships, trials, or persecution.[Tweet “God has a promise for you whatever your situation”]
- Pray. Ask God to give you a promise. You need the right promise, the one that fits your situation. Ask and then ask again and again until you find it. That’s what Jesus taught us to do! Luke 11:5-13
- Look in the the Bible. Some say “God spoke to me and promised me such and such.” You may be right or you may be wrong. I can’t be certain about what you think God said to you or me. I can be certain when I see a verse in the Bible that contains exactly the promise I need. I can read it, look at it, memorize it, meditate upon it and claim it as my own.
- Search in different ways. Read the Bible often. Use a Bible software program. Look through Bible promises books. Search websites that list promises. Keep looking until you find it.
- Examine it carefully. When you find one ask questions. What’s the context of the promise? Who made it? To whom was it made? What was the reason for the promise? Is there a requirement for the promise to be fulfilled?
- Test it and apply it. Think through the promise as it relates to your situation. Does it fit? Does the promise you found address your need and give you hope?
- Claim it and pray it. Believe that promise to be yours and pray it back to God. Every time your need comes to mind quote the verse, pray it and trust God for it. That’s what George Mueller did.
Is it right for us to go looking for a promise from God? Absolutely! God wants us to trust Him and depend upon Him. Claiming and praying His promises is one way that will happen.
[Tweet “Our God is a promise-making and promise-keeping God!”]
In tomorrow’s post I’m going to tell you how I came to discover and trust in God’s promise for me in a very difficult time in my life!
What has God taught you about promises? Please leave a comment or question below.