Everyone Needs The Bible
Americans have lots of Bibles! Every church I’ve attended or pastored has stacks of Bibles! We use them in church and that’s a good thing. I don’t know what the statistic is on how often people in general read the Bible outside of church, but I don’t think it’s very high.
If you didn’t have a Bible would you miss it? What role does it play in your life?
There are thousands of people around the world who are working on translating the Bible for language groups that don’t yet have the Bible. There are millions of people who don’t have any part of the Bible in their language. In the USA and other first world countries we’re spoiled. We can’t imagine what it would be like if we didn’t have the Bible, but let’s try. Let’s look at seven reasons why we need the Bible.
7 Reasons Why You Need To Read The Bible
- Because of who wrote it. It is from God. It is the word of God. Most of us have heard that so often we no longer appreciate it. How excited would you be if you got a real letter in the mail from Jesus? Just imagine your excitement! We should be that excited about reading all the Bible! Hebrews 4:12, 2 Timothy 2:15
- Because of what it tells us about God. We couldn’t know God without it Isaiah 55:9. If you want to know about the Trinity, the Father, Son and Holy Spirit you’ll have to read it. It tells us what God likes, doesn’t like, what’s important to Him and how He acts. Reading the Bible is how we start to get to know God. John 1:1-18, 1 John 3:1, 4:10
- Because of what it tells us about ourselves. It has the only answer to our sinful lost condition. Every religion tries to figure it out. The Bible tells us how to receive forgiveness, restoration and how to gain eternal life and know God. John 6:68, Matthew 11:27
- Because it teaches us how to live. It instructs us how to live, talk and care for others. It is a unique source of instruction that applies to every person in every language and culture. Matthew 5-7, 2 Timothy 3:16-17, Proverbs 1:6
- Because it helps us when we’re struggling. It has a mysterious ability to bring peace and comfort and hope to those who read it. Psalm 23, 2 Corinthians 1:3-7
- Because it tells us what God wants us to do. A significant portion of the Bible is actual instruction, things that God has told the people of God to do. There are things in it for you and me to do. Ezekiel 43:11, Revelation 1:3
- Because meditating on it improves our life. There are continual benefits to any who regularly read and meditate upon the Bible. Psalm 1, Matthew 7:24-27
[Tweet “The Bible is not a self-help book, but a God-help book.”]
In my personal experience, if I don’t read the Bible regularly, my spiritual life dries up. It is like a spring of refreshing to my spirit.
[Tweet “If you’re struggling emotionally, reading the Bible will help you more than anything else!”]
What about you? Have you found you need the Bible? Please leave a comment or question below.