The Law Teaches Us Even Though It Wasn’t Written To Us
The Old Testament law teaches many things. Everyone who reads it today can’t help but notice a striking contrast. Some commands make sense and some don’t, at least not in today’s world. Everyone, even liars, agree the command “Don’t lie” is a good practice. The same can’t be said for the laws about leprosy found in Leviticus 13. Leprosy included a broad range of issues like mold in a house and body rashes. The instructions made perfect sense in that day, but not in ours today.
In a previous post I pointed out several reasons the Law of Moses is not for today. That doesn’t mean that it’s of no benefit to us. These past few weeks as I read through the Law again I was reminded of five things the Law teaches us.
- The Law teaches us about hope. Perhaps you’ve heard the phrase “The Bible isn’t all to us but it’s all for us.” I don’t know who said that first but that saying captures the essence of Romans 15:4. Everything written in the former days, that includes all the Old Testament, teaches us. We learn from people’s mistakes as well as learning general principles that apply throughout time. As we do, we’re encouraged and grow in hope in God.
- The Law teaches us about God’s holiness. One cannot help but be impressed with how holy God is when reading the law. One example is the specific and careful instructions God gave Moses about how the people were to prepare to meet Him Exodus 19:10-15. Holy means separate or set apart. This is one of the key places in the Bible where we learn how holy God is.
- The Law teaches us about God’s wisdom. Some of the laws, such as the laws of leprosy, made common sense. They kept the healthy people healthy. Dietary laws were also for their protection. Then there were laws to set them apart as different from the people around them. The Law is full of God’s wisdom.
- The Law teaches us no amount of effort makes us good. The Apostle Paul put it best, “Yet if it had not been for the law, I would not have known sin” Romans 7:7-8. Do you think you’re good enough to get to heaven? The law proves no one is good enough. James 2:10 says, “For whoever keeps the whole law but fails in one point has become accountable for all of it.” Have you broken one law? I have! We’re all sinners.
- The Law teaches us how special Jesus is. Jesus kept the law, every one of the 618 commandments. He told his followers, ““Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them” Matthew 5:17. He perfectly kept the law.
Are you trying to get to heaven by being good enough? The Law teaches us it’s too late! That first lie we told when we were kids or that first time we disobeyed our parents ended any chance of any of us being good enough to get into heaven. We’re all sinners and consequently separated from God. The good news is Jesus, the sinless Son of God, paid for our sins on the cross. When we believe He died, was buried and rose again for us, He gives us His righteousness. That is good enough! If you haven’t believed in Jesus, do so today! If you have, learn to abide in Him so you walk in His righteousness.
Do you have a question or comment? I’d love to hear from you below!