The Impact Of The Cross
In my last post I said the cross changed everything. Does that seem like a lofty statement? Does it seem like hyperbole? Saying that something is important does not make it so.
In the USA we’re in the midst of an election year. Things are happening in this election cycle that no one has seen in their lifetime. Some are saying this will be an historic election. It has the potential to change things in the USA. That may be but we don’t know yet. We won’t know until it has happened if that is true.
We do know that when Jesus died on the cross, it was historic. It did change things. In fact, the cross changed things more than most of us realize. Here are 5 things it changed.
5 Things The Cross Changed
- Time – Jesus’ life and death were so significant that a majority of the world measures time in relationship to Jesus’ life. We use the Gregorian calendar that intended year 1 as the year Jesus was born. Unfortunately the dates are off slightly. Most scholars believe that Jesus was born 4 years before Christ. 🙂 Even countries that have a different calendar use the Gregorian calendar too because a majority of the world uses it.
- Sin – When sin entered the world it changed everything and separated us from God. Jesus came to restore us to the relationship God intended us to have. Romans 6:10 says Jesus died to sin. What Jesus did on the cross changed the sin problem. He became sin for us 2 Corinthians 5:21. All who believe in Jesus are now freed from the penalty and power of sin Romans 6:6-7.
- Death – Death was a consequence of sin. The cross changed the hold death had on us 2 Timothy 1:9-10. Christ followers have no reason to fear physical death. It’s a step toward eternal life. Those who haven’t trusted Christ should still fear death because after it comes judgment Hebrews 9:27.
- Satan – We won’t fully understand how God has allocated power in the spirit realm until we get to heaven. Satan is a powerful created spirit being who had the power of death. The cross changed that. Jesus’ death on the cross destroyed Satan’s control over death Hebrews 2:14.
- Our choice – When Jesus paid for sin He satisfied God for the sins of the whole world 1 John 2:1-2. The cross changed the issue every person will have to face when they die. It isn’t the issue of sin but the issue of Jesus. Jesus offers eternal life to all who accept what He did on their behalf. It isn’t complicated. Do you trust Jesus or something else? Jesus said, “I give unto them [those who believe in Him] eternal life” John 10:28.
As you go through your day today, thank Jesus for all that the cross changed! If you haven’t yet trusted in Him and you’d like to know more, click here.
Do you have a question or comment? Please leave it below. I’d love to hear from you.