Spiritual Warfare Is A Real War
War of any kind is terrible. So many young lives have been cut short fighting in wars. Like a majority of Americans, I know war is real but it isn’t part of my daily life. I’m fortunate in that I’ve not been personally touched by war. I know many who have served during wartime but none who have died. I’ve seen on TV some who came back wounded. I’ve read the stories of many who gave their lives. I grieve for them and have often prayed for them and their families. Even though they are my countrymen and women and I unashamedly support them, I am not in the war with them.
One could argue I’m a part of the war because my country is at war. I agree with that but from a practical perspective it isn’t true. I go to work, I shop, I drive my car all without fear of being shot at by an enemy or driving over a roadside bomb. To say I am at war would be dishonoring to those who are risking their lives on the front lines.
So what about the war the Bible talks about that we call spiritual warfare? Is there a group of Christians on the front line fighting Satan and his forces? Are the rest of us safe back home out of danger? That’s the way many, I would suggest the vast majority of Christians, feel about spiritual warfare. But it isn’t true. Consider these 6 facts about spiritual warfare.
6 Facts About Spiritual Warfare
- It began in Genesis 3:15 and ends in Revelation 20:7-10. There has been a spiritual war between God and His children and Satan and his followers since Adam and Eve.
- There are many examples of Satan and his followers attacking the children of God. Some examples are Eve Genesis 3, Job in Job 1-2, David 1 Chronicles 21, the Apostles Luke 22:3, 31-32.
- Satan was so audacious as to attack Jesus Matthew 4:1-11.
- We are given many warnings about watching out for Satan’s attacks 1 Peter 5:8-9, James 4:7, 2 Corinthians 11:3.
- God thinks the war is real enough to give us spiritual armor. We are given an actual defense to use to defeat Satan and his followers when they attack, the armor of God Ephesians 6:10-18.
- The book of Revelation describes in detail what will be Satan’s dramatic but failing efforts to win the spiritual war.
With all of this evidence that every Christian is a part of this war, why are so many Christians seemingly on the sidelines? Here are two reasons.
- It’s a spiritual war. It’s fought and won or lost in our minds. It isn’t against flesh and blood but against spirit beings Ephesians 6:12.
- Our enemy is good at what he does. He hides his identity and uses deceit and lies.
What do you think? Is spiritual warfare real in your life? What about your friends? How much emphasis does your church put on this? Why or why not?
Please leave a comment and any questions below.