Happiness is Part Of God’s Plan For Us
Are you happy? There are some who scoff at the question, and my guess is they’re probably not. This is an important question because seeking happiness drives so much of what goes on in the world. There is an endless list of things that make us happy, a pay raise, a delicious dessert, winning a great prize, spending time with those we love and on and on. But that happiness is short lived.
The Bible teaches us how to be happy. Our happiness isn’t the highest purpose of God’s plan, but it is part of it. Unfortunately people look for happiness in the wrong places. A song from the 80’s “Looking for Love in All the Wrong Places” aptly captures the futility many go through in looking for happiness in love. Are you looking for happiness in the wrong places? Here are five questions to help you figure that out.
[Tweet “Our happiness isn’t the highest purpose of God’s plan, but it is part of it!”]
Happiness: 5 Questions to Determine if You are Experiencing God’s Best
- Are you living a peaceful life? You can’t be happy if you aren’t peaceful. Peace is inner tranquility and the absence of conflict. There is a peace that comes from having money in bank and good health. The peace Jesus gives is different. John 14:27 It isn’t dependent upon circumstances but knowing you’re deeply loved and cared for by God. Philippians 4:7
- Are you content with your life? Some think that contentment comes with having enough, but we always want more. True contentment comes from knowing that the one who feeds the sparrow will always give you what you need, when you need it. Matthew 6:25-27, Philippians 4:11-12
- Do you have a purpose in life? Some wander through life aimlessly, others are on a perpetual quest for purpose and some know why they are here. The greatest purpose of humanity is to glorify God, for your life to reflect well upon God in everything you do. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20, 10:31.
- Are you living a fulfilled life? This is all about giving. Jesus said it is better to give than to receive. Acts 20:35. Happiness involves the true fulfillment that comes from passing on to others what God has uniquely given you to give, including your talents, abilities and sometimes resources. There is no greater sense of fulfillment than seeing the positive consequences of your giving in the lives of others. Romans 12:3-8
- Do you feel accepted and worthwhile? This is the most elusive of all we’ve discussed and most often sought in all the wrong places. It can be found but only with God. The wonderful news is God considers you worthwhile. He loves you so much He sent His Son Jesus to die for you. When you believe that the immediate result is forgiveness from all your sins. Another benefit is God accepts you into His family in the same way as He accepts Jesus. He will no longer condemn you Romans 8:1-2 and you can always talk to the Father as a Dad. Romans 8:14-16 Hebrews 4:16
[Tweet “Seek God’s best. It alone will bring you true happiness.”]
Are you happy? Like any good dad, God the Father wants you to live a happy, blessed life. Don’t miss God’s best for you.
What have you learned about seeking happiness with God rather than in other ways? Please share a comment or question below.