8 Elements of God’s Plan For Satan and Us
A few years ago my wife and I and our youngest son were on a trip when we stopped at a rest stop. It was a hot day and our teenage son was happy to stay in the car rather than stretch his legs. As Margaret and I walked around we noticed an interesting historical plaque. I walked back to the car and said, “Brady, there’s a cool plaque here. Come over and take a look at it.” Our bored and witty son looked at me and said, “And then?” I don’t remember if he looked at it or not! It didn’t matter, the chuckle was worth it.
Although it was a joke, he wanted to know the purpose of what we were asking him to do. The purpose was to get him to stretch his legs and to appreciate the historical plaque. Since I can’t remember what the plaque was about I have to conclude he was right for asking the question.
I want to ask “And then?” about something else. In yesterday’s post we pointed out that God declared war on Satan after he attacked Eve. After Satan attacked Eve God declared there would be enmity between the woman and her seed and the serpent and his seed. He went on to say,
he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heel. Genesis 3:15
This statement is important because it talks about the ongoing battle we call spiritual warfare. The first statement “he shall bruise your head” is taken as the prediction that Jesus, one of Eve’s descendants would destroy Satan. The statement “and you shall bruise his heel” is taken as a prediction of the short-lived victory Satan experienced leading to Jesus’ crucifixion.
This is good, but begs the question, “And then?” There is more isn’t there? What is God going to do about Satan? What are the elements of the spiritual battle that was initiated by these words? The answer to that is seen in God’s plan for spiritual warfare. There are 8 elements of God’s plan.
[Tweet “There are 8 elements of God’s spiritual warfare plan.”]
God’s Plan For Spiritual Warfare
- God permits Satan to attack Job 1:8, Job 42:11. He gives permission and therefore takes responsibility for the attacks.
- God guards His children Job 1:9-10. Even though He allows Satan and his followers to attack it seems clear God tells them how far they can go in their attacks.
- God delivers some of Satan’s followers from His control and makes them His own Colossians 1:13.
- God equips His followers for victory with the armor of God Ephesians 6:10-18.
- God warns His followers about satanic attacks 1 Peter 5:7; James 4:7, Ephesians 4:26-27.
- God restores those who go through spiritual battles 1 Peter 5:9-10.
- God destroyed the power of Satan by Jesus’ death Hebrews 2:14.
- God will triumph over and eternally banish Satan Revelation 20:10.
God’s plan is thorough. If we search the scriptures and pay attention to what God tells us, we will be victorious.
There is one more “And then?” to explain. Since we see and believe God’s plan we have no reason to fear Satan or his followers 1 John 4:4, 18.
[Tweet “If we trust God’s plan for spiritual warfare we won’t fear Satan or His followers.”]
What do you think? Do you have any questions? Please reply below.