Bible Doctrine Teaches Us How To Live
The word doctrine means teaching. When we talk about doctrine in the Bible we simply mean what the Bible teaches about a particular subject. For example the Bible teaches us many things about God. We call that the doctrine of God. The words “teaching” and “doctrine” are synonyms. It’s only by knowing Bible doctrine that we know what God wants us to do.
Some people think that Bible doctrine is only for professors or pastors or church leaders. I think it is a sign of our times that Bible doctrine isn’t very important to the average Christian. I’ve known people who have gone from attending one church to attending another church with very different doctrine. It’s true that some areas of Bible doctrine are minor and not as important as others but the doctrinal differences between the churches I noted above are big differences.
[Tweet “Some doctrinal difference don’t matter. Some do. Do you know which do matter?”]
Is Bible doctrine really that important? Does it really matter to the average Christian what a church believes? Yes. The best way to demonstrate this is to tell you what the Bible says about this and then let you make up your mind for yourself.
9 Reasons Why Sound Bible Doctrine Is Important
- What the Bible teaches is able to equip us to live our lives as God wants us. 2 Timothy 3:16-17
- Jesus said if you want to do God’s will you have to know if teaching is from God or not. John 7:17
- Our very faith is based upon what the Bible teaches. Romans 10:17, 1Corinthians 15:3-4
- Teaching is part of what Jesus wants all His followers to do. Matthew 28:18-20
- Our leaders are told to devote themselves to teaching us doctrine. 1 Timothy 5:17
- It’s able to give us encouragement and hope.Romans 15:4
- It tells us what is right and wrong behavior. 1 Timothy 1:10-11
- Paul exhorts Titus to teach “sound” Bible doctrine which tells us that unsound Bible doctrine is being taught. Titus 2:1
- There are those who teach wrong doctrine and we need to separate from them. 1 Timothy 6:3
[Tweet “Let’s be as committed to sound Bible doctrine as Jesus was.”]
What do we do about it? We have to get serious and become students of the word. Here is what Paul told his younger friend Timothy about this.
Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth. 2 Timothy 2:15
We need to do our best to understand Bible doctrine. Are you doing your best to understand what the Bible teaches? If you need help the best place to start is your local church. Join a Bible study, get in a small group or Bible class. Get advice from your pastor or other church leader you respect if you are unsure how to start.
Make a commitment to understand Bible doctrine. When you do, then you can teach others!
Do you have another reason why you think Bible doctrine is important? If so please let me know in the comments below.