Observations on Prayer
We’re all creatures of habit but we still like to have choices. I have a friend who I meet for breakfast from time to time. I’ve noticed he always takes the time to carefully look at the menu and then often ends up ordering the same thing. Once in a while he’ll order something different, but most of the time I could order for him.
That’s kind of how we pray. We get into a habit of praying the same way, the same time and for the same things. Once in a while we’ll pray differently, but most of the time our prayers are the same.
That’s not a bad thing, especially if you pray regularly. Today I’d like to see if I can put a little variety in your life and mine by pointing out seven different choices we have regarding prayer. We’re going to use Jesus and others as examples to follow.
7 Choices Regarding Prayer
- Whether or not to pray: [inlinetweet prefix=”” tweeter=”” suffix=”@wardcushman”]When we realize prayer is talking to the God of all creation, prayer is a big deal.[/inlinetweet] [inlinetweet prefix=”” tweeter=”” suffix=”@wardcushman”]Unlike powerful or famous people, God the Father is always available to talk with us. [/inlinetweet]Why don’t we talk to Him more often?
- How long: There are examples of extended times of prayer Luke 6:12, short prayers Luke 23:34, 46 and everything in between Ephesians 1:16-23. Try varying how much time you spend praying.
- When: Jesus prayed early in the morning Mark 1:35, at night Luke 6:12, and many other times, Luke 3:21, 11:1, John 17, Luke 22:41. Prayer is to be woven into every part of our life so we pray without ceasing 1 Thessalonians 5:17
- Why: to ask God for things. Don’t listen to those who suggest or imply this isn’t the best way to pray. Jesus taught us to ask in prayer Matthew 7:7-8, John 14:13; to give thanks 1 Thessalonians 5:18; to worship Hebrews 12:28; to confess our sins 1 John 1:9.
- Who: your enemies Luke 6:28; the sick James 5:14; one another James 5:16; everyone, especially political leaders 1 Timothy 2:1-4
- How: In faith, James 1:6, Hebrews 11:6; according to God’s will Matthew 6:10, 1John 5:14, according to Jesus name, that is in keeping with His character and reputation John 16:23.
- What: everything! There is nothing you should not pray about! 1 Peter 5:7
Two other cool things about prayer
- When we pray, Jesus intercedes for us with the Father so He hears our prayers, even though we are still sinners. 1 John 2:1-2,
- The Holy Spirit helps us by praying for us! Romans 8:26 We’ve all prayed for the wrong thing from time to time. We can count on the Spirit to pray rightly for us.
Wow, we have a lot of choices. I could go on and on. What have I missed that you’d like to share about prayer that will help me and others as we pray? If you’re looking for a good book to stretch you in the area of prayer, a friend recommends this timeless classic Quiet Talks. Share a comment or question below.