Painful and Preventable Consequences
Have you ever missed an airplane flight? Unless you had car trouble or were in an unexpected traffic jam it was probably your fault. You can blame it on your spouse or kids or dirty glasses that made you think 2:30 pm was 3:30 pm, but bottom line, it’s on you. Airlines have a schedule. They have rules. You may not like them but they’re consistent. They’re just like life. Follow the rules or suffer the consequences.
As Christians we sometimes suffer painful consequences that are avoidable. Many challenges we face are outside of our control but one type of adversity is preventable, the consequences of our own actions.
The Bible states this clearly in Galatians 6:7
Do not be deceived: God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that will he also reap.
- Why are we surprised when we get caught speeding and get a ticket?
- Why do we get upset when we get charged a late fee for paying a bill past its due date?
- Why do we think the airline should make an exception and not charge us extra for luggage that’s overweight?
[Tweet “Frustration or anger at pain from personal choices is pure self-deception”]
The Bible gives us examples of consequences we suffer because of our actions. These are all things that are within our control, meaning they’re preventable.
7 Ways We Suffer the Consequences of Our Actions
- Sin leads to guilt, shame, pain and separation from God. Ephesians 5:11-12, Galatians 5:19-21.
- Unwise words lead to fights Proverbs 18:6-7.
- Ignorance leads to suffering Hosea 6:4, Proverbs 27:12.
- Negligence causes us to miss God’s best Romans 2:7, Matthew 25:1-13.
- Laziness leads to poverty Proverbs 20:13, 24:30-34.
- Not listening to God quenches the Spirit 1 Thessalonians 5:19.
- Poor choices lead to defeat Deuteronomy 30:15-18.
These are all avoidable! Here’s how to avoid this behavior and the consequences.
7 Ways to Avoid Self-inflicted Consequences
- Don’t give in to temptation 1 Corinthians 10:13.
- Speak graciously Colossians 4:6.
- Seek wisdom from God Proverbs 14:6.
- Be diligent in all things 2 Peter 1:10.
- Work hard for the Lord Colossians 3:23.
- Be filled and led by the Spirit Ephesians 5:18.
- Choose to serve God in all you do Joshua 24:15
[Tweet “Avoid painful consequences by changing your actions. It isn’t easy but it’s always possible”]
I wish life were as simple as reading a list and saying, “Oh! That’s what I need to do.” and doing it. Instead, how about this? Take one item from the list that’s an issue for you and work on it. Think and pray and purpose to do something about it today and again tomorrow and the next day, too. With God’s help, you will be able to change.
Please leave a comment or question below.