The Irony Of The Title Of This Post About Gambling
Gambling is so pervasive in our culture that most people know the numbers 7 and 11 are “lucky” numbers, although they may not know why. I didn’t, I had to look it up. Gambling is even accepted in our churches. We read about famous megachurch pastors and famous authors who gamble. So it must be okay to do it, right? Read on, and I’ll let you decide.
7 Reasons Why People Gamble
- the opportunity to win money or a prize or get rich
- to get a rush from taking a risk
- to escape our daily routine
- to be socially acceptable
- it’s glamorous
- it’s entertainment
- it’s an addiction
On the surface some reasons seem harmless. We do many things for entertainment and everyone likes to escape from our daily routine from time to time. That’s what vacations are for, right?
Well, let’s go beneath the surface. Here are 11 reasons why Christians shouldn’t gamble. Just as there are different reasons for gambling there are different reasons not to gamble.
11 Reasons Why As A Christian You Shouldn’t Gamble
- Gambling is hoping in riches not God 1 Timothy 6:17.
- Gambling does not give God the glory 1 Corinthians 10:31.
- Gambling is about seeking pleasure apart from God Psalm 37:4.
- Gambling is poor stewardship of our money Luke 19:11-27.
- Gambling is a poor testimony 1 Corinthians 6:12, 1 Timothy 3:12.
- Gambling can cause others to stumble in their faith Romans 14:13-18.
- Gambling is taking from others who are needy Matthew 6:3.
- Gambling in casinos gives money to the ungodly. If you want to support American Indian tribes, give your money here.
- Gambling is a way to get rich quick, which we’re warned not to do Proverbs 28:20.
- Gambling is often associated with ungodly behaviors Galatians 5:19-21.
- Gambling is an addiction and enslaving 2 Peter 2:19.
Here’s the bottom line.
[Tweet “Gambling of any kind is inconsistent with your faith as a Christian”]
Some may be wondering, “Does that mean I shouldn’t buy a lottery ticket? Or join the office pool for the NCAA tournament? Surely putting a few quarters in the slot machine is OK! Do you really think God cares if I play blackjack? What’s wrong with our weekly poker game? I never lose more than $50! You don’t mean I can’t make a bet on the golf course, do you?”
See 1 through 11 above.
You may be thinking, “You’re really against gambling, aren’t you Ward?” This post is not about what I think you should do. I’m called to teach the Word and I do so without apology. I’m the messenger. Read over the list above, look at the verses and pray about it.
[Tweet “One day you will stand before Jesus to account for how you used the resources He gave you”]
When that happens, you can’t say you didn’t know.
What do you think? Please leave a comment or question below.