Our Position In Christ Assures us of Acceptance
Acceptance is a key principle for people of all cultures. It’s elusive. It isn’t based upon one’s social status or wealth or accomplishments. There are many successful, wealthy, famous people who struggle with acceptance. No matter how much one tries one cannot guarantee being accepted by another. Acceptance is a gift bestowed by another.
[Tweet “The Father, Son and Spirit’s acceptance of us is one of the most profound truths of Christianity.”]
The Basis of Our Acceptance is Our Position In Christ
I grew up in a home where I didn’t feel accepted. Perhaps that’s your story, too. When that’s the case we try to earn acceptance and prove we’re worthy. Some people study hard. Others practice sports or music intensely. We do lots of things to try to please our dad or mom. In homes like ours it didn’t work. Some of us are still trying to prove ourselves even after our folks are gone.
When you became a Christian you were immediately and unconditionally accepted by the Father Ephesians 1:3-6. What’s fascinating about our acceptance as Christians is we couldn’t earn it. Before we trusted in Jesus the Bible says we were enemies of God, ungodly and alienated from Him Colossians 1:21. As sinners Romans 3:23 there was nothing we could do to please God and frankly, we didn’t want to.
So how did we come to be accepted by God? We heard about what Jesus did for us, that He died, was buried and rose again to pay for our sins. We learned He took our place on the cross and became sin for us 2 Corinthians 5:21 so we could live. One day we did the only thing we could to be accepted, we believed in Jesus. As a result the Father graciously saved us and accepted us Ephesians 2:4-7.
5 Facts About Our Acceptance by God
- We were accepted when we believed in Jesus as our Savior John 1:12. We’re now children of God in His family.
- Our acceptance is an undeserved gift from God Ephesians 2:8. We were unworthy but in His mercy He still accepted us.
- We weren’t accepted because of anything we did or will do Ephesians 2:9. There is no work of any kind that could ever make us acceptable to God. It was faith in what Jesus did for us.
- Jesus death on the cross demonstrates the Father loves us Romans 5:8. The only way to measure God’s love for you is what it cost Him to accept you.
- Jesus death on our behalf demonstrates our worth to God Romans 8:31-35.
[Tweet “Jesus’ death for you proves you are worth a Son to God the Father.”]
Are you trying to do something to please the Father so He’ll love you more? He gave His Son for you, how could you do anything more than that?
Are you worried about your past life, thinking you aren’t good enough to serve God? Don’t. He didn’t save you because you were good enough. It was the opposite.
How has God taught you that you’re accepted? Please leave a comment or question below.