How Well Do You Know the Christmas Story?
Everyone in America has grown up listening to the Christmas story. We’ve heard it in church, read it in books and seen it on TV. We know the Christmas story so well we can tell it without looking it up in the Bible, right? Let’s take a Christmas Quiz to see how much we know.
Take the True/False Christmas Quiz below. For each statement below, the question is whether or not the Bible says what is described about the Christmas story. If you think what is said is found in the Bible, then mark it true. If you don’t think the Bible says it, mark it false.
- T/F Mary rode a donkey to Bethlehem.
- T/F Mary arrived in Bethlehem the night she gave birth.
- T/F Joseph and Mary talked to the innkeepers.
- T/F Jesus was born in a stable.
- T/F The baby Jesus didn’t cry.
- T/F Angels sang to the shepherds.
- T/F Angels were present at Jesus’ birth.
- T/F The three kings came riding camels to Jesus’ birth.
- T/F Jesus was born on December 25, year 0.
Christmas Quiz Answers
I’m sure that was difficult. Now it’s time to see how you did.
- Although it is possible, the Bible only says Joseph and Mary traveled to Bethlehem, not how. Luke 2:4-5 False, no donkey is mentioned.
- Nothing is said in the Bible about arriving on the night Mary was to give birth. The Bible says, “while they were there, the time came for her to give birth.” Luke 2:6
- The Bible doesn’t say they talked to the innkeeper, only that there was no room in the inn. Luke 2:7
- The Bible doesn’t say Jesus was born in a stable. We are told Jesus was put in the manger because there was no room in the inn Luke 2:7. In those days it was common for animals to sleep inside.
- The baby Jesus didn’t cry. This is false. What seems like a sweet line from the song “Away in a Manger” is actually a heretical implication of Docetism suggesting Jesus wasn’t completely human.
- Angels sang to the shepherds. – False. The Bible say they “praised God” Luke 2:14
- Angels were not present at Jesus’ birth. Luke 2:15-17 After telling the shepherds about Jesus the angels went away from them into heaven.
- The three kings came riding camels to Jesus’ birth. This is actually false, false, false, false! There were three gifts mentioned Matthew 2:11, but no mention of how many magi, not kings. No camels are mentioned either. The magi disobeyed King Herod and didn’t tell him where Jesus was living. Herod had asked the magi when the baby was born Matthew 2:16-17 and ordered the slaughter of all the boys 2 years and under. This tells us he could have been up to 2 years old when the magi came.
- Jesus was not born on December 25, year 0. The Bible doesn’t say the date. King Herod, who tried to kill Jesus, died in 4 BC, so Jesus had to be born at least 4 years before Christ. 🙂 Yep, that’s what it means.
If you haven’t read it in a while you can find it in Matthew 1:18-25; Matthew 2:1-12; Luke 1:26-38; Luke 2:1-20 or if you want to read a simple paraphrase of it, click here.
Do you know some other incorrect trivia about Christmas? Please leave a comment or question below.