In World War II Germany attacked and defeated the Dutch and the Belgians after a six week blitzkrieg. The French formed a new government and quickly surrendered to the Germans. Certain elements of the former government didn’t recognize the legitimacy of the new French government or the surrender. Some left France but many didn’t. Those who stayed secretly continued to fight.
After God created the heavens and the earth, an enemy, Satan, successfully attacked God’s perfect creation. He introduced sin (Romans 5:12) and corruption into the world (2 Peter 1:4). Then he took control of it (1 John 5:19). Since then the followers of God have been at war with Satan and his followers (Genesis 3:15).
Every time a person becomes a follower of God, he is transferred from the kingdom of Satan to the kingdom of God’s beloved Son (Colossians 1:13). We all remain here to live, but this isn’t our home (Philippians 3:20) and we are part of the resistance.
Satan has put in place a system of controls we call the world or world system.
The World Defined
Here’s my definition of the enemy the Bible calls the “world” based upon studying everything the Bible says about it:
The world is a transitory system of beliefs, standards, values and priorities, opposed to God, influenced and controlled by Satan, and accepted, embraced and promoted by the society in which we live. 1 John 2:16-17; Matthew 4:8-9; John 14:30; 15:18-19; Titus 2:12; Ephesians 2:1-2
The world is controlled by Satan but it is different from him. Along with Satan and the sinful nature it is one of our three enemies as Christians.
5 Sobering Facts about the World
- We are in a world that hated Jesus (John 7:7). It still does.
- The world can’t receive the Spirit of truth (John 14:17). Just think how common and acceptable it is to lie.
- The wisdom of the world is folly with God. (1 Cor. 3:19). Belief in the supernatural is ridiculed.
- The world tempts us to love it (1 John 2:15) through alluring advertising and beautiful stuff.
- When we befriend the world we become an enemy of God (James 4:4). This is when we accept the world’s values instead of God’s values.
5 Reassuring Facts about the World
- Jesus overcame the world (John 16:33). It killed Him but He rose again. It couldn’t defeat Him.
- We are in but not of the world (John 17:14-18). It isn’t home.
- We are to be light of the world (Matthew 5:14). Our job, shine for Jesus where you are.
- Greater is He who is in us than he who is in the world (1 John 4:4). Don’t fear, we’re on the winning side.
- The wonderful end of the story is that at a point in the future the kingdom of this world will become the kingdom of our Lord and of His Christ (Revelation 11:15).
You and I are living behind enemy lines. Immerse yourself in reading and meditating on the Bible so that our minds stay focused on godly things (Romans 12:1-2). Don’t accept the world’s values. Don’t stop fighting!
What is the biggest problem the world gives you? How do you fight the world? I’d love to hear from you so please leave a comment or question below.