7 Reasons Why We Should Be Talking About Spiritual Warfare
Spiritual Warfare is a topic too many Christians avoid. When I mention spiritual warfare these are the typical responses.
- People run, often because they’re afraid of the topic.
- People shrug their shoulders and go on talking as if the topic doesn’t have anything to do with them.
- People get a serious look in their eyes, nod their heads in agreement, then change the topic because it isn’t important to them.
- People get excited and embrace me like they just won the Publishers Clearing House Sweepstakes.
Could we agree spiritual warfare is an 800 pound gorilla in the room for many pastors, church leaders, members, attenders and non-church goers alike? It’s an 800 pound gorilla because for many of us it’s a scary topic we’d prefer to ignore.
But it shouldn’t be a scary topic. It’s time to start a discussion about spiritual warfare.
By definition an 800 pound gorilla is a person or subject that’s dominant and overpowers everyone and everything else. Did you ever hear the joke, “Where does an 800 pound gorilla sit?” The answer, “Anywhere it wants to.” We all silently agree to leave it alone.
Spiritual warfare is like that for too many Christians. Let me give you 7 reasons why we should talk about spiritual warfare.
7 Reasons To Talk About Spiritual Warfare
- It’s a major Bible theme. Spiritual warfare is woven throughout the fabric of the Bible starting near the beginning (Genesis 3) and finishing near the end (Revelation 20).
- A guy named Job. A whole book of the Bible is devoted to Job’s spiritual warfare battle.
- Priority in the New Testament. The author of every New Testament book talks about it.
- Warnings. The Bible warns us about it (1 Peter 5; 2 Corinthians 2; James 4).
- Examples. The Bible gives examples of it (Genesis 3, Job, Matthew 4, Acts 5).
- Instructions. The Bible teaches how to successfully deal with it (Ephesians 6).
- The end of story.The Bible says Satan is defeated even if he doesn’t act like it. (Hebrews 2:14)
Those are more than enough reasons to start paying attention to spiritual warfare. I started To Every Nation Ministries to equip Christians to stand firm in the face of spiritual warfare. This blog is one part of the equipping process. I post regularly to equip you to realize what it is, to recognize it and to resist it. The topics I post on are all related to the Christian life.
Is spiritual warfare an 800 pound gorilla in your life or in your church? Why do you think it is? How can we get rid of the gorilla? I’d love to hear from you, please reply below.