The Bible Is Clear About How to Please God the Father
There is an innate desire within all of us to please others, especially those we hold most dear. Every mom and dad has been touched with joy at receiving a gift from a child. It may have been a bouquet of dandelions or a plaster of paris hand print with “I love you, Mommy” etched in it. We still have some of those precious gifts. The simple gift did what our child wanted to do, it pleased us.
In going through life we’ve all learned that some people are harder to please than others. There are two reasons for this.
- Some people don’t communicate well. They don’t say what pleases them and it’s up to you to try to figure it out.
- Others are very particular. You may know what they want but it’s either hard to do or it’s unrealistic.
This leads to the question, “Why do we want to please others?” There are at least four reasons.
- We care about them. This is purely from personal delight.
- We have to, it’s our job. This is an obligation.
- We want to get ahead. This is a selfish motive.
- We’re insecure. This is unhealthy, an attempt to get people to like us.
When we think about pleasing God these same four reasons apply.
The right reason to please God is easy, because we love Him. Let’s say God the Father is your boss and He invites you to a party at His house on Saturday night. On the way you stop and get a gift. Why are you getting Him a gift?
Is it because it’s the socially proper thing to do?
Is it because you want to give Him something expensive so He’ll like you and promote you?
Is it because you don’t know if He likes you or not and you really, really, really want Him to like you?
Is it because you’re fond of Him and you know He likes chocolate covered turtles.
Fortunately it’s easy to please God the Father. The Bible is very clear about how to please Him and all of the things that please Him are very doable. Here are 7 ways we can please God.
7 Ways to Please God the Father
- Believe Him. Hebrews 11:6.
- Tell others about Him 1 Thessalonians 2:4.
- Do good to others Hebrews 13:6.
- Share what you have with others Philippians 4:18.
- Pray for all those who are in authority over us 1 Timothy 2:1-3.
- Take care of your elderly parents 1 Timothy 5:3-5.
- Live sexually pure lives 1 Thessalonians 4:1-8
As an added benefit, when our ways please God, He changes the way our enemies treat us Proverbs 16:7! And that will please us. We have a wonderful Father. Let’s take some chocolates to the party today!
Please leave a comment or question below.