When I ask people how they feel about spiritual warfare the most frequent answer is fear. Even people who don’t think spiritual warfare has anything to do with them become wide-eyed and wary when we start talking about this topic. There is overwhelming evidence in the Bible that Christians have nothing to fear from Satan and his followers.
Fear shows a lack of faith in God. It’s been said a fear of Satan is nothing more than faith in Satan. That may seem like an odd way to put it, but I think there is truth to that. Let’s look at the biblical evidence why this shouldn’t be true.
12 Reasons Why Christians Shouldn’t Fear Satan or Spiritual Warfare
- Jesus created things including Satan and spirit beings. He has authority over them. Colossians 1:16-17
- Jesus proved He is greater than Satan when he easily resisted Satan’ attack. Matthew 4:1-11
- All demons that Jesus encountered feared Him! Matthew 8:28-30
- Jesus gave His authority over demons to his followers which includes us. Luke 10:17-19, Ephesians 6:10
- Jesus destroyed Satan’s power by dying on the cross Hebrews 2:14 and disarmed spiritual rulers and authorities Colossians 2:15
- We have the Spirit of God indwelling us and He is greater than Satan. 1 John 4:4. Therefore Satan cannot control any Christian against his or her will.
- The Scripture promises Satan can’t touch us. 1 John 5:18-19 There are no warnings about or examples of Satan or any demons physically hurting any believers in the Bible except the unusual case of Job.
- We were delivered from Satan’s domain and transferred to Jesus’ kingdom when we trusted in Christ. Colossians 1:13
- Satan and his forces can only attack us if God allows. Job 1-2, Luke 22:31-32
- We have been given a defense, the armor of God, to resist all satanic attacks. Ephesians 6:10-18
- The fact that the Bible tells us to resist Satan assumes we can do it. 1 Peter 5:8-9, James 4:7
- In the one story in the Bible where God allows Satan to unleash his power on a believer, Job and his family, Satan did not win and Job ended up better off than before he was attacked. Job 42:10-17
Where does fear come from? God has not given us a spirit of fear 2 Timothy 1:7. Fear is an attacking thought from the enemy. Fear is the opposite of love 1 John 4:18.
3 things to do if you fear Satan.
- Make the decision to resist the specific fear with the faith in God. James 4:7, Ephesians 6:16-17
- Focus on fearing God, having a genuine informed respect for His power and majesty. Proverbs 1:7, 9:10
- Meditate on the love God has for you, which will drive the fear from you. 1 John 4:18
Think about all of the verses above and how great God is and the attacking fear will be replaced with love and comfort and confidence in the Lord.
Do you fear Satan and spiritual warfare? If so, why? What makes it hard to resist the fear? Please leave a question or comment below.