There Is No Reason For A Christian To Fear Satan
This past summer I did something I’ve never done before. I went on a 600 foot zip line! From a distance it looked like fun but when I was strapped in and ready to go I was afraid! Something inside of me told me not to do it! I was able to overcome my fear. I’m glad I did. It was so much fun I went several times!
When I tell people I teach about spiritual warfare I often hear them say they fear Satan and his attacks. Frequently people get a serious look on their face and softly tell me, “Oh, I’ll pray for you.” You’d think I just told them I was going swimming in a pool with electric eels and poisonous snakes! I wonder if they think they may never see me again?
There are lots of reasons why people fear things. No Christian ever needs to fear Satan or satanic attacks. Let’s consider two wrong reasons and then three right reasons why we should not fear Satan.
Two Wrong Reasons To Not Fear Satan
- You dismiss him as a lackey not worthy of your concern. Peter calls him a roaring lion seeking someone to devour 1 Peter 5:8. Jude 8 tells us it’s wrong to blaspheme the glorious ones (angels). Jude condemns those who talk foolishly about Satan. I don’t think lightly of Satan. I respect him and his followers.
- You think you’re smarter, better or stronger. That’s not what the Bible says. It says people are “lower than the angels” Hebrews 2:7. There are many things angels do that people can’t do. For example, they are stronger 2 Peter 2:11, Matthew 28:2; know more than people 2 Samuel 14:20, and can take on human appearance Hebrews 13:2.
Three Right Reasons To Not Fear Satan
- Jesus defeated Satan and broke his power. When Jesus died on the cross He broke Satan’s power Hebrews 2:14. Satan knows he’s defeated but he’s still free to act so he continues to oppose God and His followers.
- I am in Christ and have been given Jesus’ power. When I became a Christian I was transferred from being part of Satan’s domain to Jesus’ kingdom Colossians 1:13. Because of this I can be strong in Jesus’ power and might Ephesians 6:10, Mark 5:2, 7.
- I know how to use the armor of God to resist Satan’s attacks. James tells us to resist Satan and he will flee from us James 4:7. Paul explains the way to resist is to put on the armor of God.
These are the reasons I can confidently say I do not fear Satan or any of his followers. God always gives us victory when we resist His way 1 Peter 5:8-10.
If you would like to learn how to confidently stand firm in the faith when attacked by Satan come and join us for the Stand Firm Seminar this Friday night and Saturday morning. Click here for details and to register.
Do you have a question or comment? Please leave it below.