Adoption Is The Norm For the Family Of God
Adoption is a wonderful solution to two tragic problems. Children, who by no fault of their own are without parents, experience the love and wholeness of being in a family. Parents unable to have their own children are able to experience the joy of parenting. It’s wonderful for both.
One of the most wonderful things that can happen to anyone is to be adopted by God the Father. Unfortunately many don’t understand the life-changing truth of this blessing. Here is what Paul says about our adoption in Ephesians 1:5-6:
5 [God the Father] predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the [pleasure] of His will, 6 to the praise of His glorious grace, with which He has blessed us in the Beloved.
The book of Ephesians was written in the 1st century when the Roman Empire was in power. Adoption was common but very different from today. The reason for adoption was not compassion but the need for a male heir to carry on the family name and business. Children that were adopted were not destitute but socially acceptable members of known families. When a child was adopted his past was effectively erased. He began a new life enjoying all the rights and privileges of that family.
When Paul speaks of adoption he uses the term like people did during his life. God isn’t compassionately taking orphans into His family. God is compassionate but that isn’t the focus here. Let’s take a closer look at these verses. As we do we will see 5 encouraging elements of our adoption by God.
5 Encouraging Elements Of Our Adoption By God
- God the Father decided before the world was made that He wanted to have many children. The word “predestine” means to come to a decision beforehand. You have been on the Father’s mind for a long time.
- Adoption into the family of God is through Jesus. The adoption transaction took place the moment we put our faith in Jesus. We became a part of God’s family. John 1:12
- From the first moment of our adoption we enjoy the full rights and privileges of His family. Our past way of life is gone forever. We have entered into the love and acceptance the Father, Son and Spirit have shared for eternity. We are expected to live like God’s child.
- The Father adopts us because it gives Him pleasure. Simply put, God the Father likes kids. It pleases Him that you are His child.
- Our adoption reflects well on our Father. He didn’t have to adopt us. It was His gracious undeserved favor that prompted Him to adopt us. That is something worth praising Him for doing.
Are you living with the reality that God the Father adopted you into His family? Do you understand the personal intimate relationship you have with Him, Jesus and the Spirit? Do you realize you are part of the family business?