California is beautiful country with wonderful weather. It’s wonderful because it rains very little from May through September. The downside to that dry weather is that it’s easy to accidentally start a fire. Many forest fires in California start because a spark from an unattended campfire floats away, ignites some brush and quickly gets got out of control.
A small spark, a single event triggers devastating consequences. In a similar way, one event set in motion the spiritual warfare battle that has raged throughout human history.
The beginning of the war can be traced to a single angel. There are two passages in the Bible that tell us how this cosmic battle started, Ezekiel 28:11-19 and Isaiah 14:12-19. We have to study the two passages together to get the whole picture. Here is what we come up with.
- God created a unique angel called a cherub. It was the highest of all His creation Ezekiel 28:16.
- The cherub was called Day Star, son of the Dawn. Lucifer is the Latin for Day Star Isaiah 14:12. We now know him as Satan which means adversary.
- He was created blameless Ezekiel 28:15, perfect and beautiful. He was adorned with every precious stone Ezekiel 28:12-13.
- He lived in Eden, the garden of God Ezekiel 28:13.
- He became proud and corrupt because of his beauty and splendor Ezekiel 28:17.
- He allowed his unrighteous pride to control him which led him to plan a rebellion. He willed to do five things; to try to take God’s place in heaven; to put himself in the place where he would be worshiped by all other angels; to take over God’s authority Isaiah 14:13; and to take God’s glory; and that he would be like God Isaiah 14:14.
- He recruited other angels to join him and they violently rebelled against God Ezekiel 28:15-16.
- The rebellion simply failed and he was cast from his previous role in heaven Ezekiel 28:16.
There are many lessons we can take from this, but just one I want you to think about today. What was the spark? What was the one thing that started everything down the wrong path?
Do you think pride is a big deal in your life, something you should be concerned about?
What are you really good at? Is it music or art or writing? Maybe it’s working with your hands, building things, fixing things? Or is your strength relationships?
You know why you’re so good at it, don’t you? God made you good at it. He blessed you. Have you thanked him lately? Are you depending on Him every day to help you not just with what you can’t do but also with what you’re good at? Or are you going it alone?
I hope not. Lucifer was the best of the best, but he left God out. That is what pride does, and it will lead to your fall. Right now, humble yourself and thank God for every blessing in your life!
What do you think? Leave a comment or question below.