Being Redeemed Is All About Being Liberated
Rewards programs are very common today. The most popular are with airlines or credit card companies. The more you use their services the more quickly you earn a reward. The terminology used in claiming a reward is biblical! If you want to purchase something with the reward points or miles you’ve accumulated you have to redeem your points or miles.
One definition of redeem “is to gain or regain possession of something in exchange for a payment.” That fits with how companies use the term. It also fits with how the Bible uses it. God gains possession of us in exchange for a payment. Here is how Paul puts it in Ephesians 1:7,
In [Jesus] we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace, which he lavished upon us
8 Reasons Why Being Redeemed Is So Important
- We’re all born sinners Romans 5:12 and enslaved to our sin nature John 8:34.
- Consequently we’re all destined to eternal death without God Romans 3:23.
- The only way to be released from the control of the sin nature is to be redeemed.
- Jesus paid the price required to redeem us. It was not a price we could pay. The price was His death.
- We’re redeemed the moment we believe Jesus died, was buried and rose again to pay for our sins.
- As soon as we’re redeemed we’re forgiven! The debt for all our sins is paid. We no longer have any guilt or shame when we stand before the Father.
- When we’re redeemed we’re also set free from sin’s power Romans 6:6.
- All this is possible because our heavenly Father abounds in kindness toward us.
The way the Bible uses the word redeemed is different in some respects from how the world uses it.
- When we’re redeemed we get the benefit, the reward!
- We’re redeemed into God’s family.
- Redemption means our hearts are free to have joy and peace in a fallen world.
- Anyone who is redeemed can have victory over the desires and temptations to sin.
- When we fail, we stay redeemed! Our condition is affected but not our position as God’s redeemed children.
- Because we’re redeemed, when we confess our sin we are always immediately restored in our walk with God.
- The Father never runs out of reward points. He spends them lavishly on all who believe in His Son.
Being redeemed is a win for us and a win for God who loves us! What’s not to love about that?!
I’d love to hear from you. Please leave a comment or question below.