Are you a man of God or woman of God? Would you be comfortable if someone called you that? How about as a title on your business card? That is what Moses was called!
Moses is one of my heroes. It may be that one of the reasons I admire him is he was such an unlikely man of God. Here are six reasons why he might not have become a man of God.
Six Reasons Moses May Not Have Become A Man Of God
- He should have died as a baby Exodus 1:22. Pharaoh ordered that all male children be thrown into the Nile to kill them. Instead, his mother put him in a basket in the Nile River to save him. One of Pharaoh’s daughters saw him, had pity on him and saved him Exodus 2:6.
- He was raised as a rich, privileged son of one of Pharaoh’s daughters Exodus 2:10. He had all of the worldly benefits anyone could ever imagine living in the palace. The easiest thing for Moses to do was to stay right where he was.
- He murdered a man. He saw an Egyptian beating an Israelite and killed him Exodus 2:11-12. When Pharaoh heard of it Moses fled and became a fugitive Exodus 2:15.
- He was a reluctant leader Exodus 3-4. When God spoke to Moses and told him of the task he was called to do Moses resisted. He gave God several excuses, none of which God accepted.
- He had a terrible temper! He often got angry with the Israelites because of their idolatry Exodus 32:19. His anger was why he never made it to the promised land Numbers 20:8-12.
- He tried to control everything himself Exodus 18:13-16. Whenever any of the Israelites had a problem or dispute they took it to Moses until his father-in-law wisely suggested he share the burden of leadership.
We might say that the odds were stacked against him. Do you ever feel that way? It’s easy to give excuses why we aren’t a woman or man of God. We might say things like this:
- My family doesn’t know God and it’s really hard to live a godly life when everyone around me thinks it foolish to be godly.
- I’m just too weak to overcome the temptations in my life. I’d like to be godly but it’s just too hard.
- I’m not smart or a leader or a public speaker. I’m just a normal person. God doesn’t really expect much out of me.
One Reason Moses Became A Man Of God
The book of Hebrews tells us the one reason why Moses became a man of God.
By faith Moses, when he was grown up, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh’s daughter, choosing rather to be mistreated with the people of God than to enjoy the fleeting pleasures of sin. He considered the reproach of Christ greater wealth than the treasures of Egypt, for he was looking to the reward. Hebrews 11:24-26
Moses chose to believe God and become a man of God. He realized that life with God is so much better than anything else we could ever imagine. There are things that make becoming a woman or man of God difficult. It was hard for Moses and he didn’t always get it right. If Moses could overcome his obstacles, so can you and I!
I’d love to hear from you. Please leave a comment or question below.