Most Christians have heard multiple messages about Satan. In spite of that, how much do you really know about Satan? Every year new books are published about Satan and spiritual warfare is a frequent topic on Christian radio stations. Although there are many things that are debated about Satan, such as whether Isaiah 14:12-15 or Ezekiel 28:11-19 refer to him, there are many things that we can state with certainty.
Here are fourteen things we know about Satan.
14 things we know from the Bible about Satan.
- He is a major character throughout the Bible first mentioned in Genesis 3:1-15 and last in Revelation 20:7-10, being mentioned in 4 of 39 Old Testament books and 20 of 27 New Testament books.
- He is completely evil, sinning from the beginning 1 John 3:8, a liar with no truth in him John 8:44, and a murderer John 8:44.
- He is the enemy of God and all his children. Romans 16:20; 1 Peter 5:8
- He can only be in one place at a time. In Job 1:7 God asked Satan where he had been, and Satan said, “walking to and fro on the earth.” If he were omnipresent he would not have answered that way.
- He has spirit beings that follow him Revelation 12:9, perhaps as many as one third of the angels of heaven Revelation 12:4.
- The word “Satan” sometimes refers to the evil spirit described above and sometimes it refers to any or all of those who follow him Matthew 12:26.
- He has power over this world Ephesians 2:2, John 14:10, 1John 5:19.
- He has the power to manipulate wind and weather Job 1:16-19.
- He can do miracles 2 Thessalonians 2:9.
- He is of equal or greater power than the Archangel Michael who had to rebuke Satan in the name of the Lord to defeat him Jude 9.
- Even though powerful, he can only do what God allows him to do Job 1:12; Job 2:6.
- Satan’s power was broken when Jesus died on the cross and rose again from the dead Hebrews 2:14, 1John 3:8.
- There are no verses in the Bible that even suggest he can read our minds, but there are verses that clearly teach he can influence what non-Christians 2 Corinthians 4:4 and Christians Acts 5:3 think.
- He can still outwit Christians 2 Corinthians 2:11.
This is amazing stuff. Yet what I am going to share with you now is far more amazing and significant. Any humble Christian can resist Satan so that he immediately flees James 4:6-7. James makes a blanket statement that applies to all Christians. A poor uneducated day laborer, a teenager, a housewife, a taxicab driver, a janitor or anyone who knows the Lord and humbly rests in the power of God can defeat the highest created spirit being of all of God’s creation. It isn’t about education, intelligence, giftedness or spiritual maturity. It’s about understanding your relationship with Jesus and resting in Him. That’s amazing!
How have you learned to rest in Jesus in your walk with the Lord? Please leave a comment or question below.