The Bible Is As Relevant Now As It Has Ever Been
In the 1960’s liberal theologians said God is dead. A former megachurch pastor recently said if the church follows the instructions from the Bible and forbids same-sex marriage it will become irrelevant. What was the authority that he based his comment on? His own cultural observations. There are many who say the Bible isn’t relevant to our lives today.
We are thinking people. Let’s consider why the Bible is still relevant to us. All scripture doesn’t apply to us today such as the Levitical laws of leprosy and similar Old Testament laws. Those aren’t a matter of relevancy but application. Even those scriptures contain truth. Here are 5 reasons why the Bible is still relevant to us today.
5 Reasons Why The Bible is Relevant Today
- It’s a living book. The Bible is described as God-breathed in 2 Timothy 3:16-17. How can a book be alive? In Genesis 2:7 we’re told that God made man from the dust of the ground and breathed into him the breath of life. How can dust come to life? Both are just as impossible but true. The life of the Bible includes its ability to penetrate the spirit and soul and thoughts and intents of the hearts of those who read it! Hebrews 4:12
- The wisdom of the Bible is timeless. When we read the wisdom of Solomon in 1 Kings 3:16-28 and Jesus Mark 12:13-17 we still marvel today. The Bible is full of insight into the human condition that is just as true today as when it was written. See Proverbs.
- The accuracy of the Bible. The Bible isn’t a history or geography book, but it contains historical and geographical details. It’s fascinating that no factual data from the Bible has ever been disproved by historians or archaeologists. To the contrary, discoveries continue to validate facts in the Bible once thought to be wrong by secular scholars.
- The message of the Bible is clear, compelling and current. The quest of humanity has always been to discover significance and meaning. The Bible alone explains the original plan of God, how it was corrupted and how God has provided for man’s restoration through His Son Jesus. The message of faith in God has never changed.
- The values and truths of the Bible are timeless. There are those who say certain biblical teachings are archaic. Yet they give no reasons for rejecting the truth of the Bible other than their personal opinions. By the way, the “God is Dead” theological movement died. God’s still around.
Those who reject the Bible as irrelevant say the Bible no longer fits our culture. Rather, our culture has rejected the principles of the Bible.
The best way to counter those who say the Bible is irrelevant is to live the truth of God’s word before them. Love them, share your faith with them and pray for them.
I’d love to hear what you think. Please leave a comment or question below.