Learning to prioritize is one of the most important skills a person can acquire. This is true of a mom trying to figure out how to balance school, work, and family schedules, or a teacher grading papers, working on lesson plans and trying to find time for family, or a manager trying to fit in training, supervision, planning and getting one’s own work done. When you have multiple things vying for your time, how do you choose what’s most important?
Let me ask you the same thing of the Christian life. What’s most important to you? Is it prayer or worship or reading your Bible? Is it more important to be patient and kind or loving and faithful? Growing in the Christian life involves learning to balance all these things and more. Today I want you to consider the priority of faith as a foundational building block of the Christian life.
4 Roles Faith Plays In Spiritual Warfare
- Faith is how we get into God’s family. Ephesians 2:8-9 Have you trusted in Jesus as your personal Savior? If not, you are not part of God’s family but are under the authority of Satan, even if you don’t realize it. Ephesians 2:1-3 Faith in Jesus gives us access to God’s power and resources to deal with spiritual warfare. Ephesians 6:10
- Faith assists us in our daily living. It is the foundational principle for our day to day lives. It helps us walk with God. Hebrews 10:38, Romans 1:16-17.
- Faith is armor to help us when attacked. One area we will be attacked in is what we believe about God, our life and our circumstances. Ephesians 1:16 We need faith to resist those attacks.
- Faith empowers us. Hebrews 11:32-40 It enables us to face overwhelming obstacles and challenges and overcome them. Faith in God, more than anything else, gets us through hard times.
Faith is a crucial element in our Christian lives yet it’s possible to go days without trusting God for anything. How do you know if you are walking by faith? Here’s an example of two approaches people take when dealing with uncertainty whether the issue is finances, health, relational or mental health.
- Worry, fret or be anxious about your situation. Try to figure things out on your own. Pursue every possible option to solve your problem on your own. When all else fails, worry and fret some more.
- Involve God in everything you feel and everything you do in trying to resolve your problem. Take your uncertainty to God the Father and talk with Him about it, asking for wisdom. Think about verses that speak to your specific uncertainty and if you don’t know any, read and study the Bible and search for a promise of God that you can claim to help you face the uncertainty. Claim the promise and trust God to help you through. Keep praying and asking God for help as you pursue every possible option to solve your problem.
Faith is so important because it enables us to overcome great obstacles, endure great hardship and please God.
When was the last time you specifically trusted God for something? How did that work out for you? Why do we have trouble trusting God? Please leave a comment or question below.